Wednesday, December 10, 2014

While we may grow weary, God never tires: Daily Mass Homily--Wednesday, December 10th, 2014


(Listen to this homily here).       

            One of my favorite activities is running.  I have run competitively for many years, starting in junior high and high school, college and even now.
            There comes a point in most every race where I want to give up.  I’d like to lie down in the grass or on a sidewalk and wait for a ride home!  Yet my best races come when, at this moment, I push through.  The greatest athletes face the most challenging moments of competition head on and push the gas pedal.
            I ran on a Christian team in college and we had a few Bible verses to motivate us.  We heard one of them today from Isaiah: “They that hope in the LORD will renew their strength, they will soar as with eagles’ wings; They will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint.”  (I had to chuckle because the verse before these stated: “Though young men faint and grow weary, and youths stagger and fall…”  I’ve staggered and fallen across the finish line before!)
            Our bodies get tired.  Whether from a late night, early morning, exhausting work or listening to a homily, tiredness is a reality in our lives.  The same is true for our souls, and you may be feeling exhausted today by the busyness of the secular holiday season.  You may experience dryness in prayer, persecution in your faith or weariness from suffering grief.
            In such moments we turn to God because, “He does not faint nor grow weary…”  Jesus tells us, “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”
            I’ve been preaching about taking ten minutes a day in quiet prayer this Advent season.  This is a great way to take up Christ’s yoke.  We give him our weariness of body and soul and he replaces it with his rest, peace and joy.  The very passages of Scripture from which we hear today can be brought into such prayer.
            Continue on the Advent path to Christmas well!

No comments:

Post a Comment