Friday, November 8, 2013

Pushing others: Daily Mass Homily--Friday, November 7th, 2013


            I think I’ve told you before about how Fr. Rich and I used to fight over the remote during my first few weeks here.  I wanted to watch ESPN at breakfast and he wanted to watch the news.
            Since Fr. Rich is gone, I have been able to keep up with the sporting world each morning.  One of the biggest stories now is quite bizarre.  A player from the Miami Dolphins left the team and entered a mental health rehabilitation program.  He claims he has been bullied and harassed by one of his teammates.  As the reports continue, it is unclear if this was an individual bully, a group shunning, or perhaps nothing at all.  What is clear is that something went amiss with the Dolphins in how they push each other to be better players.
            Each of us is responsible to lead in some way.  Whether it is in our family, work or among friends, we should strive to make people around us better.  Sometimes this requires pushing them—and as a priest I see this as an important part of leading parishioners, staff and children.
            St. Paul pushed the Romans to be better, and note how he does it: “I myself am convinced about you, my brothers and sisters, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, and able to admonish one another.  But I have written to you rather boldly in some respects…”  First, he affirms his brothers and sisters.  Second, he sees the good present in them and responds with mercy rather than condemnation. 
            When we are faced with challenging someone we need to keep this approach in mind.  No matter how annoyed or angry we are, we should first seek the good in someone we need to confront.  They, too, are God’s beloved son or daughter and have gifts and talents to serve His kingdom.  Affirmation goes a long way in correction.
            Pushing someone to become better is not always easy or fun, but at times it is necessary.  In such times, seek the good in this person, affirm them and approach the situation with mercy and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment