Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Parish Bulletin Article: "National Catholic School Week": 1-26-20

Happy National Catholic School Week to all of you!
As my assignment began on Wednesday, July 16th, 2014, I’ll never forget my first visit to St. Thomas Aquinas Church and School.  (I do apologize to our family at St. Columban as my first visit to your parish took place when I moved to the area).  In doing so, I spent time with Fr. Kris McKusky, our principal, and our religious educator.
As we begin this incredible weekend for all National Catholic School Week, I would like to share what has happened since the previous paragraph.  One of the first things I learned: we had 19 students registered for our school.  19!  I was also asked if I planned to keep the school open or closed.  Could you imagine that as a new young pastor?!
My response to several people was pretty clear: “I don’t think that our Bishop [God rest his soul] sent me up to close a school as I have a degree in Math High School Teaching, and I love Catholic education!”  And, before I began my job up here, I asked our principal for a list of families who would want to go to our school, but the tuition would be challenging for them.
Within a couple of weeks, some parishioners gave $20,000 to support these families (and once again, thank you for your generosity!).  With this gift, we originally from 19 kids went up to 38!
As I am sitting in the office at the school today, I am reminiscing how much has happened since 2014-2015.  Our population for students is now 3x more significant (57 students).  We are steadily afloat and growing up to sixth grade. Our fundraising went from $35,000, and our goal this year is $100,000.  We are striving to support our students, not only academics but whole persons connected with a relationship with Jesus Christ.
Finally, we are still praying and seeking support for this fantastic school. Some of our next significant steps include the following: grow our teachers’ salaries, introducing daycare in our school, and licensing our pre-school to allow more options for families in our community
Once again, happy National Catholic School Year, and please pray and serve our #1 mission: St. Thomas Aquinas School Saints!
God Bless!

1 comment: