Wednesday, February 13, 2019

God is LOVE and God loves LIFE: How do we show LOVE to the crazy times in our society?: 4th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Listen to the homily here.

Notes:

1 John 4:16: “God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him.
1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13: weddings, and funerals, but love
§ Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts.
But I shall show you a still more excellent way.
§ Love never fails.
§ So faith, hope, love remain, these three;
but the greatest of these is love
.”
§ God is love!
Jeremiah:
§ Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,before you were born I dedicated you,a prophet to the nations I appointed you.”
§ God is love!
Psalm 71
§ On you I depend from birth;from my mother's womb you are my strength.”
§ God is love!
Now, I rarely will preach about political things, but this weekend I must preach this weekend
§ As a Catholic, I am like an orphan in our two political system and it seems like a flipping of the coin on which side will choose, often wanting win versus working together for goodwill
§ Recently two big issues are coming forward to our minds: “the wall” and once again, “abortion”
o  Two different opportunities
§ The first, how do we, as adults, as leaders in our government discern and decide what to do.  There are different ways, but we are speaking about adults, a country, refugees, brothers and sisters who want to come to our country etc. God is love.
§ The second, abortion is intrinsic with the protection of unborn babies, who have no voice.  And recently, there have been new laws to allow abortion until the last day of pregnancy, or a botched pregnancy.  God is love and His love allows us to live.
§ And when I discern big issues, I encourage you in your challenging focuses the three words I have mentioned several times:
§ GOD IS LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment