Sunday, June 24, 2018

Parish Bulletin Article: "St. Barnabas Encourager": 6-17-18

In those days a great number who believed turned to the Lord.The news about them reached the ears of the Church in Jerusalem,and they sent Barnabas to go to Antioch.When he arrived and saw the grace of God,he rejoiced and encouraged them allto remain faithful to the Lord in firmness of heart,for he was a good man, filled with the Holy Spirit and faith.And a large number of people was added to the Lord” (Acts 11:21-24).
                  Early this week (Monday) we celebrated the Memorial for St. Barnabas, one of the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ.  One word above quickly connected to St. Barnabas within his life and as a reminder to us today: encourage.  “When he arrived and saw the grace of God, he rejoiced and encouragedthem…”
                  In a special way, Barnabas encouraged his brothers and sisters with faith.
                  So this weekend, who are the people in your life that encourage you to grow in your faith and your relationship with Jesus Christ?  
Personally, I would choose my Grandma Betty (God rest her soul).  Since I was a young child, Grandma encouraged me to learn the rosary, to “keep my marks well” in school, and her last words to me in her life was simply telling me, “Jesus loves you.”  That was encouragement in my faith, my vocation, and my love of Jesus Christ.
                  And who could you encourage in your life to grow in their experience with Jesus Christ?  Your child? Your coworker?  A teammate?  Someone who is lonely?  Someone who is suffering?
                  The gift of encouragement can truly share true love to people who you know, or perhaps someone you never knew or may never see again.  That gift can nourish another persons love!
                  God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment