Monday, April 23, 2018

Parish Bulletin Article: "Vacation": 4-15-18

The apostles returned to Jesus, and told him all that they had done and taught.  And he said to them, ‘Come away by yourselves to a lonely place, and rest a while.’  For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat.  And they went away in the boat to a lonely place by themselves” (Mark 6:30-32).
            I remember praying with these verses when I was a Totus Tuus teacher for two summers around our Diocese.  Those days were crazy, teaching first-sixth grade students during the day, visiting families during the evening, and speaking with junior high/high school students at night.  At that point in my life, I praised God to use this text to be refreshed with our Savior.
            Now that I am on vacation, I will still remind myself for the great gift to receive time off for my vocation as a priest.
            I hope that each of you can get to have a vacation to rest, relax and be “away” to your day-to-day life.  I also pray for you to make sure that your spiritual life may be growing, rather than losing your relationship with Jesus Christ.
            How could you do this on your vacation?  I believe that four things can help you grow in your body, mind and soul: nap, exercise, pray and learn about Catholicism. A nap will release stress with your body and mind.  Simple types of exercising can be fun and healthy by yourself or with friends and family. You can add small steps to remember to pray before and after meals, an event or while you are by yourself. Also, always make sure to make it to Mass!  Lastly, I find times when I enjoy traveling to read the Scriptures or spiritual books. I mean, if you are sitting in an airport or in a vehicle, you can probably find some time to pray.
            As I am on vacation, know of my prayers for you. As it is an honor to serve and walk with you, I want to say “thank you” for the essential weeks during Lent and entrance into Easter.  I am proud of you with your time, talent and treasure as our family walked together with our Savior, and I was amazed with your support with decorations, service, music and food.  Keep rolling!
            Finally, welcome Fr. Thomas who will be offering confessions and Masses this weekend and say “hello” from me.
            God Bless!
            
            
            
            


No comments:

Post a Comment