Sunday, July 31, 2016
Tough readings about greed, possessions and money: 18th Sunday of Ordinary Time
Listen to the homily here.
This week we had 17 students and 4 adults: priest, faith formation, teacher and nurse—awesome!
This was my favorite moment
· Before the Basilica, we passed a person that was hungry with a cardboard question to eat
· Several of our high school students passed me two small bags of snacks and I gave it to him
· He quickly opened to eat
· While this was a simple gift, it was a huge opportunity
This weekend I would like to share our readings about greed
· Colossians: “Put to death, then, the parts of you that are earthly: immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and the greed that is idolatry.”
· Luke: “Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one’s life does not consist of possessions.”
· St. Paul wrote in 1 Timothy 6:10: “For the love of money is the root of all evils…”
· Bring that verse to prayer
· 1.) I love following Matthew Kelly—the many books and CDs we have given out for us to learn our Catholic faith, becoming “The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic”, “Rediscover Jesus” and “Beautiful Mercy”
o I remember a CD when he said:
§ He has traveled around the world and has listened to stories of each sins: lust, pride, gossiping, etc. He said that he never listened to the sin of greed.
§ That hit me in the face
· 2.) Know that this is not “poor” or “rich”. This is the level we must give away.
o I have met poor people that are greedy
o I have met rich people that are generous
o It is not number of dollars or possessions
o It is giving what we have away
As brothers and sisters that live in the richest country in the world
· Walk step by step to discern the money you do have…your possessions…your budget
These students shared an awesome way to give away…what can you give away can cut out greediness!