Thursday, July 7, 2016
100 Years of St. Thomas Aquinas' Parish Dedication: 14th Sunday of Ordinary Time
Listen to the homily here.
“Thus says the LORD: Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad because of her, all you who love her; exult, exult with her…”
· What some awesome readings for this wonderful evening
· Exult! Exult!
We have a powerful day after 100 years of a dedication
· Yes…we have 100 years for different occasions
o The first time we built a small church here (Holy Apostles)
o The first time we built our church
o Other celebrations and historical liturgies
· Tonight is what we do for a “blessing dedication”
o In July 2, 1916 the name of our church was dedicated of St. Thomas Aquinas
o A huge event with a bishop!
Listen again from Isaiah about some cool images of our own Church
· “Lo, I will spread prosperity over Jerusalem like a river, and the wealth of the nations like an overflowing torrent.”
o Look at these words!
§ “Jerusalem like a river”
· Do we not have a river three blocks away?
· Do we not have the stones on our building outside from this river?
§ “Nations like an overflowing torrent”
· This is what I want to see at our Church!
· We must invite, welcome and open our doors to each person that needs Jesus’ love, mercy and compassion
§ “And the wealth of the nations…”
· Yes, we have a tough economy up here…less families, less kids, less jobs, less money
· Yes, we have loan for our roof, UCA, heating, school, budget
· Yes, we ask Him! Yes, we must discern how we go forward…we think of 2016 to the gifts we have
· At the same time, we do have “a ton of wealth”!
o We have 3 kitchens in our Church.
o We have water, plumbing, electricity, hot or cold air inside
o Most of the world does not have this
· Prosperity tough in USA…perhaps
· But we must share with those DO NOT have any prosperity
A last line from Isaiah…perfect words from God for each of us:
· “When you see this, your heart shall rejoice and your bodies flourish like the grass; the LORD's power shall be known to his servants.”
· Rejoice…exult…be glad
· God’s house…God’s family is THE BEST