Sunday, May 3, 2015

Marriage Enrichment Opportunity: Parish Bulletin--5-3-15


            Last Sunday evening I had the honor of hosting eleven couples from our parish at my house.  The purpose was to watch a section of a well-known marriage enrichment program Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs (say that ten times fast!).  We gathered for fellowship, viewing part of a DVD session and having open conversation about the presentation.  It was an edifying evening for all.
            Dr. Eggerichs most basic point comes from Ephesians 5:33: “…let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.” 
In his humorous presentation he argued that men and women, created differently by God, have specific filters in their senses and communication based on being either male or female.  One is not better than the other, but he maintains that men and women process things in very different ways.  Knowing this can enrich a marriage. 
This was only my second exposure to the Love and Respect program, and I am impressed.  It was telling to hear the laughs and groans of the couples watching the presentation in my living room, affirming exactly what he was saying!
This weekend I want you all to know how important marriage and family enrichment is for our parishes.  It is ministry that is dear to my heart, as could be said for the Catholic Church as a whole.  Families are the building blocks of society.  Healthy and holy marriages found such families.  As marriages go, so goes a society.
I am grateful to Anthony and Theresa Stone for organizing this particular marriage enrichment program.  Thanks also to the couples that took part in this introduction to Love and Respect.  It looks like we will be continuing to the series and I hope many more couples may attend.  More than this, we will be striving to provide several opportunities to help you grow in your marriage.  Keep your eyes and ears open and take advantage of these!
Know of my gratitude and prayers for you married couples.  If I can be of any assistance to your marriage and family, don’t hesitate to ask!
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment