Saturday, November 1, 2014

What is a saint?: Daily Mass Homily--Saturday, November 1st, 2014 (Solemnity of All Saints)


(Listen to this homily here.)

           What is it we are celebrating today?  In other words, what is a saint?  Before giving definitions, let me give you two examples of saintly people who have inspired me. 
The first was my dearly departed Grandma Betty.  As a young girl she lost her mother, and was sent to live with relatives.  During the depression she not only survived, but took herself and her two little girls away from her husband whom she later described as a drunk.  She suffered in her eighty-six years, but you would have never known it based on her joy, strength and faithfulness.  As a young boy she explained that what I thought was a necklace was actually a Rosary, and she taught me how to pray it.  She sold me her old 1980 Buick Century for a dollar.  Thus my first car was puke green in color, had vinyl seats and an AM radio, caving ceiling and bumper that had to be chained on.  And her last words to me were, “Jesus loves you.”  I believe she is now with God and is a saint.
The second is Fr. Matthew Fedewa.  For those of you who have made a TEC or Koinonia retreat, this name may ring a bell—he is the man that began the Together Encounter Christ (TEC) program in Battle Creek, Michigan.  It was through the TEC program that I experienced my conversion and fell in love with prayer, Scriptures and the sacraments. 
When I showed up to St. John Vianney Seminary (on the University of St. Thomas campus), Fr. Fedewa was living on my floor!  He became my spiritual director and led me closer to Christ.  He walked me through the “leaving no stone unturned process” of formation and was with me when I faced my darkest hour. 
As he lived on our floor, Fr. Fedewa often stopped by our rooms to chat.  One day he told me, “Ben, you know how a sculptor sees a statue in a block of marble?  He chips away at it until it appears.  Ben, there is a good priest in you, and I am going to chip him out!”
Fr. Fedewa is still alive and I consider him a living saint.
Today we celebrate the multitude of men and women who have gone before us to be with God.  While they are probably not in our Roman Calendar, we know them because they are our grandparents, children and friends.
Historically, the word saint has referred to two different types of people—the living followers of Jesus Christ (this was a title of Christians used a lot in the Acts of the Apostles) and those in heaven.
I would like to share a few facts about saints with you.  Many today think that when we die we receive a pair of wings and a halo and become an angel.  This is not what we believe!  What we do believe is that our body and soul are reunited in a glorified way in heaven.  Thus, you will be more yourself in paradise than you ever were here.
Saints are not the same.  In fact, Billy Joel got it exactly wrong when he sang, “I’d rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”  It is actually sin which is boring to tears!  I frequently tell people that knowing your age and gender would allow me to guess what your confession would be fairly accurately.  This isn’t because I have some mystical gift, but because I have heard enough confessions to know we all struggle with the same sins.  While sins and sinners are the same, saints are unique in their own personalities, gifts and talents.
Finally, saints were not perfect.  Every person in heaven, save Jesus and Mary, sinned many times while on earth.  But the saints were relentless in seeking forgiveness.  Having fallen, a saint always gets back up with God’s grace and humbly asks for mercy.
We rejoice today in the saints who have gone before us.  Our number one goal in life ought to become a saint.  This mission does not only impact our own life, but can lead to forming many other saints among our family, friends and relatives.
Be a saint today and please, God, may we be saints forever in heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment