Friday, November 7, 2014

Fostering unity through our mission: Parish Bulletin--November 9th, 2014


            This week I would like to describe how following our basic mission can foster unity in our parishes.  I believe this mission is critical to keep in mind, especially as I am a new pastor and am making some changes in our various facets of parish life.
            As I serve you and your families, I always to keep in mind my basic mission as your pastor—to lead you closer to Christ.  Our communal mission as Catholics is similar: love God, love your neighbor, serve the poor and make disciples. 
             I want to be upfront of a few conflicts I have observed in my time here.  At first they seem small and focus on things like our kitchens, gates in the sanctuary, access to the tabernacle, spaces within our facilities, who leads the rosary at funerals, who gets to make decisions and the like.  Added together, I am noting patterns and sources of unnecessary strain for myself, our staff and community itself.
             The vast majority of you have approached such issues in mature and respectful ways, and for that I am grateful.  I continue to be impressed with your openness, generosity, holiness and fire for the faith as I get to know you.  Continue to focus on the big picture as we journey to Christ! 
              Unfortunately, a handful of individuals here have persistently chosen to disobey or challenge the Church’s full understanding of her liturgical, ecclesiological or theological practices and beliefs.  I have experienced these both first and second hand (from trusted individuals in our parish and diocese).  I have and will continue to address and challenge these individuals, and I pray everyone grows in holiness to remember what we are all about. 
              Know that, as your pastor, part of my job is to root out all division by fostering the unity Christ desires.  This is part of your job too.  If we all commit to focus on loving God, loving our neighbor, serving the poor and making disciples we will remain on point with Jesus’ great commission.  The result will be the promised fruits of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  And isn’t that what we all want?
             On a lighter note, good luck to all of you deer hunters this season!  May God bless you with a safe and successful hunt.  Take advantage of the solitude in God’s creation to spend some time in prayer, and remember to take an hour off for Mass!
            God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment