Tuesday, February 4, 2014

David's love for wayward son points to God's love for us: Daily Mass Homily--Tuesday, February 4th, 2014


            King David points to Jesus in many ways.  Today we see his unwavering love for his rebellious son.  Yesterday we heard how Absalom had rejected his father and attempted to take the kingdom from him.  Ultimately Absalom failed, losing his life in battle.
            We see David’s unconditional love after he heard the news and cried, “My son Absalom!  My son, my son Absalom!  If only I had died instead of you, Absalom, my son, my son!  This compassionate response after being rejected by his own son!
            Really, this is what God’s love is all above.  We frequently reject God in our lives, exiling Him from our hearts.  Like David, God says, “If only I had died instead of you…”  Unlike David, God sent His son who actually died instead of us.
            In his recent apostolic exhortation The Joy of the Gospel (which I highly recommend), Pope Francis encourages us to seek our Father’s love through Jesus Christ: “I invite all Christians, everywhere, at this very moment, to a renewed personal encounter with Jesus Christ…say to Jesus ‘Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love, yet here I am once more, to renew my covenant with you.  I need you.  Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace.’  How good it feels to come back to him whenever we are lost!”
            As much as David loved Absalom despite his failures and shortcomings, God loves us infinitely more.  May we daily seek His mercy in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment