Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The true image of God: Daily Mass Homily--Tuesday, August 13th, 2013


            There are many false conceptions, false images of God.  Some individuals imagine God as an impersonal deity far removed from our world.  Others treat Him like a vending machine, coming to Him only in crisis.  Still others think He is a bully Who can’t wait to pour His wrath upon sinners in judgment.
            For many years I pictured God as a crabby teacher.  He sat behind a desk with a big red marker and glared at me as I answered the questions in the test of life.  I tried to do everything perfect, only to see my test flooded with red ink and a big F on the top.
            Through revelation we learn, however, that God is much different than such notions.  He is our loving Father and our readings indirectly affirm this truth.  Moses, near the end of his life, encourages the Israelites: “Be strong and of good courage, do not fear or be in dread of them: for it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you.” 
            Kids will often banter, “My dad could beat up your dad.”  Moses is saying, “Our Dad can beat up ANY dad!”  As our Father God protects us.  He preserves us in harm’s way and provides for all of our needs.
            In the Gospel Jesus shows that we must be childlike to be great in the kingdom of heaven.  Jesus teaches this because children are solely dependent on their parents.  So too, we are 100% supported by God and all that we have and all that we are is thanks to His goodness.
            In my own Christian journey as I struggle with weakness and sin, I often picture myself as a child learning to walk.  I stumble, stagger and often fall down.  You moms and dads know what it is like to help such a child.  When they fall, do you yell at them?  Do you tell them, “Come back to me when you have it figured out.”  Or rather, do you not encourage them, cheer them on and hold them after a fall?  God does the same for us.  As we learn to walk with God we often stumble and fall, and as our Father He is there to embrace us in His love and mercy.
            What is the first image that comes to mind when you think of God?  Try picturing Him as your loving Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment