Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My Lord and my God!: Daily Mass Homily--Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013 (Feast of St. Thomas the Apostle)


            Sometimes I feel bad for St. Thomas—doubting Thomas!  We all call him this, but what would we say if one of our friends said someone rose from the dead?  We probably would want some proof, just like Thomas did.
            Thomas came to believe when Christ appeared in his presence.  He exclaimed, “My Lord and my God!”  Jesus answered him with an important declaration: “Have you come to believe because you have seen me?  Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.”
            The very fact that you are at Mass today indicates you have faith.  Having faith requires seeing things differently from the scientifically and empirically driven 21st century mindset in which we live.  A secularist doesn’t believe that a man rose from the dead.  He doesn’t believe bread and wine can turn into the Body and Blood of Christ.  He doesn’t believe we can be forgiven in sins.  Yet as “…fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God…” we do.  We can believe without seeing Jesus’ appearance in human form.
            Today we thank God for the gift of faith He has given us.  We pray, through the intercession of St. Thomas, that our faith may grow and we may proclaim with him, “My Lord and my God!”

No comments:

Post a Comment