Monday, June 24, 2013

Christ must increase, I must decrease: Daily Mass Homily--Monday, June 24th, 2013 (Solemnity of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist)


           St. John the Baptist’s entire ministry can be boiled down to one simple line: John 3:30—“Christ must increase, I must decrease.” 
            Throughout his life, John always pointed to Jesus.  In his mother Elizabeth’s womb he leapt for joy when the Blessed Mother approached with the incarnate Word.  He spent a life in prayer in the desert, praying for the coming of the Messiah.  He proclaimed that the time for repentance had arrived and directed the crowds’ attention to Christ, the Lamb of God. 
            During this time St. John the Baptist exemplified the virtue of humility.  Indeed, he too had been foreshadowed in the Scriptures and was to be the greatest of men born of woman.  He was the new Elijah, coming to herald the Messiah’s arrival.  Yet he never drew attention to himself: What do you suppose that I am?  I am not he.  Behold, one is coming after me; I am not worthy to unfasten the sandals of his feet.” 
            Christ must increase, I must decrease.”  Do you live like this?

1 comment:

  1. https://youtu.be/r1QtydtxbJw
    Christ must increase, I must decrease by Singtoheaven

    ReplyDelete