Sunday, August 23, 2020

Jesus Two Questions: Who do THEY who I am? Who do YOU think I am?21st Sunday in Ordinary Time

Listen to the homily here.

Notes:

21st Sunday in Ordinary Time

 

Jesus asked two questions today which is curious about what the question was, and who it was

“Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”
“But who do you say that I am?” 

Let’s start with Isaiah, another Isaiah and Matthew connection

·      “…I will place the key of the House of David…”

·      “…I will fix him like a peg in a sure spot, to be a place of honor for his family

o   And in one Bible, according to Jeff Cavins, in a Protestant Bible pointed this verse to Matthew 16!

So who do people say that the Son of Man is?

·      We heard about John the Baptist, Elijah, Jeremiah, prophets

·      But what is he name today?  Guru?  Teacher?  Philosopher? Relativism?  Speaker?  One of many other leaders?

But who do YOU say that he is?

·      That’s where Peter spoke in correctly:

·      "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 
Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. 
For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.”

During this time of the next political season, challenging times with a virus, who do YOU say that Jesus is?

·      If he is not the Son of God, why are you even here?

·      And if you do believe that Jesus is the Son of God, how do you live your life like that?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment