Saturday, June 25, 2016

“My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God": 13th Sunday Ordinary Time

Listen to the homily here.

Notes:

“My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God.”
·      Psalm 63
·      I hope, and I pray that you follow on of the verses in Psalm 63
o   “O God, you are my God whom I seek; for you my flesh pines and my soul thirsts like the earth, parched lifeless and without water.”
How are our souls thirsty or parched?
·      With a bad day
·      Being sick, injures, surgery
·      Not having a job
·      Having without a house, or food, or water
·      Those who are lonely
·      Those who have addictions
·      Those who have depression, anxiety
·      With tough stuff in life: health, family or friends who have passed away
How are you thirsty for God?
·      Even if life is great or challenging
There are several different ways to drink God
·      1.) Praying
o   One of the most questions that ask a priest: how do you pray?
o   Well…praying is growing in a relationship with God
o   Think of the different ways in your relationships of your spouse, kids, friends
§  Hanging out
§  Face to face
§  Phone, facebook, twitter
§  Meals
§  Games
o   There are many different ways to speak with God
§  In your heart
§  Reading the Bible: God speaks to you at any time!
§  Reading spiritual books
§  Be quiet with God (Adoration, at home)
§  A journal
§  Talking with other people about God
§  Praying with other people: “For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”
·      Dinners at home
·      Meetings
·      2.)  Sacraments
o   We can receive two sacraments every day:
§  Eucharist and Confession
·      Eucharist = Body and Blood of Jesus Christ
o   To feed our souls
o   To drink our souls
·      Confession
o   Forgiveness, mercy, compassion
o   Feeding your soul
o   Baptism, Confirmation, Anointing of the Sick, marriage, ordained
§  Ways that God give us strength, courage, gifts
§  Through His gift to drink our souls
·      3.)  Look to others, not ourselves
o   Drinking of the poor (as well as the other ways to give gifts and mercy to others: food, clothes, visiting in hospitals and jails, those who have died)
o   Presence
o   The most powerful prayers we have, is when we are praying in our different situations
o   And the most we help others, the more we receive from God for our souls
“My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God.”
·      Reflect on these three areas: praying, Sacraments, helping others

As a family in our churches, diocese, state, country and world helps each of our souls to drink of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment