Saturday, November 11, 2017

Parish Bulletin Article: “Books of the Bible in a Verse: Pentateuch”: 11-5-17

            Throughout bulletin articles in the future, I would like to offer some fresh thoughts throughout the Bible.  While I was in the seminary, I experienced a fun and personal goal to share nuggets within God’s Word through each book in the Bible.  I thus called this project: “Books of the Bible in a Verse.”
            As I offer this to you, please know that this is not a perfect or correct answer.  Instead, it was a way to challenge me (and others) to jump into the Bible through essential verses.
            Finally, I typically focus on the organization of the Scriptures with eight sections.  The Old Testament contains the Pentateuch, History, Wisdom and Prophets and the New Testament includes the Gospels, Acts, Letters and Revelation.
            Thus, here are key verses throughout the Pentateuch:
GenesisI will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.”  (3:15)
ExodusCome, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring forth my people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt.”  (3:10)
LeviticusFor I am the LORD your God; consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy.”  (11:44a)
NumbersThese are the commandments and the ordinances which the LORD commanded by Moses to the people of Israel in the plains of Moab by the Jordan at Jericho.  (36:13)
DeuteronomyI call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse; therefore choose life, that you and your descendants may live.”  (30:19)
            Our next verses will come from the Historical books.
            God Bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment