Tuesday, October 10, 2017

"It's not fair...": 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Listen to the homily here.

Notes:

Think of this line that most of us has heard:
·      It’s not fair!”
·      Imagine some hypothetical thoughts for you parents
o   “It’s not fair…it’s my sister’s birthday and I don’t get a present today!”
o    “It’s not fair…my brother’s friend is here but mine is not!”
o   “It’s not fair…my sister is sick and can’t go to Mass, but I have to!”
o   “It’s not fair…my friend has Nintendo video games, but I don’t!”
o   Or think of your situation with your child(ren)
·      Now think of you parents
o   My Mom and Dad always said, “Life is not fair…”
o   And a three year old nodded his head
o   How do you react to your children’s thoughts?
o   How did you respond to your kids?  Was it a “life moment”/teach moment?  Was it instructed with compassion and love while showing the best place that they can do excel in their lives? 
·      I mean you are their parents!
·      You are in charge of their soul and salvation!
As a priest and as a Pastor, part of my job is similar to you parents
·      Some similar, but some differences
·      But like a parent, “a priest, a Father” is to teach, encourage, grow and support your missions
·      As we heard St. Paul’s writing to the Philippians:
o   “If there is any encouragement in Christ, any solace in love,
any participation in the Spirit, any compassion and mercy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, with the same love, united in heart, thinking one thing…Have in you the same attitude that is also in Christ Jesus…
And I have heard several notions from parishioners, Christians, society
·      “It’s not fair…you Catholics can receive communion, but I can’t!”
·      “It’s not fair…you priests should be able to get married!”
·      “It’s not fair…a man can be a priest, but a woman cannot!”
·      Ezekiel 18: “You say, "The LORD's way is not fair!"  Hear now, house of Israel: Is it my way that is unfair, or rather, are not your ways unfair?”
o   How do we learn this?
o   Please speak to me!
§  For instance
·      We have a deep belief for Jesus’ Body and Blood and the teaching of Jesus Christ on earth and in the Scriptures show that not everyone can receive the gift of communion...to receive communion you must say “I believe…aka…I believe in the Catholic faith…morality…”
o   Please talk with faithful Catholics
o   Please learn!
·      1 Peter 2:1-3
o   Rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, insincerity, envy, and all slander; like newborn infants, long for pure spiritual milk so that through it you may grow into salvation, for you have tasted that the Lord is good.”
Life is not fair. 
·      Your children might not think that some stuff is not fair. 
·      Some think that we Catholics are not fair
·      But is God “not fair”? 
·      Or perhaps God has a mosaic that we cannot even see through His providence, His plan, His mission as He created us, He has infinite power and is in charge of our lives






No comments:

Post a Comment