Sunday, May 14, 2017
We need more Deacons!: 5th Sunday of Easter
Listen to the homily here.
Last weekend we were blessed with the sacrament of confirmation for our brothers and sisters (or your children or grandchildren!)
· I cherish this gift from God
· First, I don’t have to do much of anything!
· Seriously, we were the body of our Church
o Bishop, priest, deacon, laity, servers, musicians, sacristans, ushers
o We all gathered together for the feast of listening to God’s Word and receive Jesus’ Body and Blood
Our family continues to grow
Our first words in the first reading: “…the number of disciples continued to grow…"
· I mentioned this before, but we are now up to 11-12 children to be baptized!
· Our relationships with Christ and ourselves continue to grow
· I also hope that we continue to discern the mission—or vocation—how God has called us
Remember that at each Mass, we pray for vocations
· Priesthood, diaconate, religious life and holy marriages
· Each of these are essential
· Each of these hone us into our part of our family
· The first reading continues: “the Hellenists complained against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution. So the Twelve called together the community of the disciples and said, "It is not right for us to neglect the word of God to serve at table. Brothers, select from among you seven reputable men, filled with the Spirit and wisdom, whom we shall appoint to this task, whereas we shall devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word."
· I mention this, because each of us have the mission that has God has told us to do
I believe that we need some deacons!
· In Duluth, Brainerd and Ely have several deacons which asserts their parishes for Eucharistic Ministry, baptisms, funerals (without Mass) and proclamation to the Gospel
· If you are an adult man, please discern the diaconate.
· If you are at Mass during the opening for fishing and/or deer hunting, you may be called to be a deacon
· We need more deacons at it take our family to another gear to Christ