Monday, February 8, 2016

40 Days: Parish Bulletin--2-6-16

Praise God after a wonderful Catholic Schools Week.

I would like to say, “Thank you” to Sabrina Etienne and Dawn Flesland for the last two bulletins.  I have enjoyed reading about our faith formation and school on my vacation!  When I got home, I heard from several parishioners that they were happy about our students in faith formation and in the school.  Perhaps we can continue to include them in our weekly bulletin.               

            As you read this bulletin, remember that Lent begins on Ash Wednesday this week (February 10th).  Check the bulletin for our scheduled times for masses.

            Lent gives us forty days to walk with Jesus Christ.  Jesus himself spent days in the desert: “Filled with the holy Spirit, Jesus returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the desert for forty days, to be tempted by the devil.  He ate nothing during those days, and when they were over he was hungry” (Luke 4:1-2).  While the battle began between Jesus and the devil, he dominated this through his death and resurrection.
           
Lent is time for us to grow in our faith, our soul and our lives.  A few ideas to help us for these days:
·      How can I pray each day during Lent?  (attending daily mass, spend five minutes speaking with God and praying the rosary).
·      What can I do to help my spiritual life each day?  (read the Bible, Rediscovery Jesus, read books, listen to CD’s or DVD’s).
·      How can I give up something like food or drink?  (chocolate, pop, beer, dessert, etc.).
·      How could I help another person?  (Visit the sick in the hospital or nursing home, purchase items on the food shelf shopping list, teach a child, a simple telephone call to someone in need).
·      What could I give away?  (Clothes, possessions, worldly time…)

Forty days in Lent.  Let’s do it well.


God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment