Thursday, December 12, 2013

Basics of Advent: Daily Mass Homily--Wednesday, December 11th, 2013


           We haven’t had a school Mass for a while and we have entered a new liturgical season since then.  I want to wish you all a very blessed Advent.
            In Advent we wear purple.  We do this because purple is a sign of penance.  Like Lent, we ought to make sacrifices in Advent.  It is a time to give up candy, video games or other.  It is also a time to do something extra.  In this regard I am so grateful for your contributions to the Giving Tree program.  [The kids have been bringing non-perishable food items throughout Advent to give to the poor.]
            At the same time, purple is a royal color.  We are waiting in joyful hope for the coming of our king, Jesus.  Christmas is hardly about presents or Santa—it is about the Baby Jesus.
            Jesus gives us true peace.  He is with us even in the most difficult situations.  Our school is facing one of these in knowing our friend Alyssa is recovering from a scary night outside.  Yet we know that Alyssa and her family, and us, can live in the reality of the Scriptures: “They that hope in the LORD will renew their strength, they will soar as with eagles’ wings; They will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint”; “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”
            Trusting in the coming of Christ, we stand together to offer our prayers to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment