Monday, November 11, 2013

Hunting can lead to God: Daily Mass Homily--Monday, November 11th, 2013


            As you probably know, this weekend marked the beginning of the deer hunting season.  It’s no secret that I love hunting and fishing, but deer hunting takes the cake.  On Saturday I sat in a stand for over six hours.  Sunday I sat for over four.  I didn’t see a thing, yet had a great time anyway.
            Getting outside to hunt affords me time of quiet and solitude.  It helps me get away from the noise, distractions and busyness of the world.  It also immerses me in God’s creation.  So whether I get anything or not, I love time outdoors.
            In the first reading from Wisdom the sacred author declares, “…the spirit of the LORD fills the world.”  Elsewhere in Wisdom, pagans were denounced for worshiping things of nature because they didn’t give credit to the Creator.  I’ll admit, if I never knew of God or Jesus Christ I would probably do the same.  Something happens to me when I see Lake Superior, serene woods, twinkling stars or a sunset that takes me out of myself to a different reality.
            St. Thomas uses the order and beauty of nature as one of his five proofs for God’s existence and seeing the above is proof enough for me.
            A couple of weeks ago I was praying at the abortion clinic during 40 Days for Life.  A young man came up to me and asked me a series of questions.  Most importantly he asked, “How do you know God exists?”  I replied, “Look around you!”  (It didn’t help I was in downtown Duluth).  I wish I could have talked with this searcher in a deer stand to attribute the beauty of creation to God the Creator.
            In our busy and noisy society be sure to step out of the virtual world into the real world.  Take a walk or a hike or sit down and enjoy the view.  By seeing God’s creation we get glimpses of God Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment