Thursday, August 22, 2019

Parish Bulletin Article: "Hospitality": 8-18-19

Hospitality
As I was in Rochester this past week, I am genuinely grateful for the hospitality.  I was able to stay at two different homes.  One was with one of my best friends' sibling who allowed me to stay at their house for five days, and one of my best friends who works at Mayo invited me to stay at his home for three days.  Both of them showed hospitality with food, drink, a bedroom, and understanding the need of my daily naps.
My parents, as they drove me to Mayo, also experienced hospitality with one of my Dad's best friend as they stayed at some great friends during the whole trip.
In my life, I have also experienced these gifts in Venezuela and Ghana.  While many of these people encouraged me to their homes, too, they gave away some sustenance that they had little themselves.  Typically these poor areas always began with water or a tasty drink, as well as snacks or full meals, even if they had little to give away.
This weekend I offer thanksgiving for many of you, parishioners, who have invited me to your home, with fascinating conversations, a meal, prayers and beyond.  Thank you who show this great gift, or charism, to offer generosity!
Back in the day, the Hebrews and Israelites (Old Testament) and Christians (New Testament) and today around the world, hospitality is ordinary, not only with friends but also strangers.  For instance, in the book of Judges, a group was traveling, going to stay outside overnight in a challenging community.  Here is what occurred for these individuals:
"So they passed on and went their way; and the sun went down on them near Gibe-ah, which belongs to Benjamin, and they turned aside there, to go in and spend the night at Gibe-ah. And he went in and sat down in the open square of the city; for no man took them into his house to spend the night.  And behold, an old man was coming from his work in the field at evening; the man was from the hill country of Ephraim, and he was sojourning in Gibe-ah; the men of the place were Benjaminites.  And he lifted up his eyes, and saw the wayfarer in the open square of the city; and the old man said, 'Where are you going? and whence do you come?' And he said to him, 'We are passing from Bethlehem in Judah to the remote parts of the hill country of Ephraim, from which I come. I went to Bethlehem in Judah; and I am going to my home; and nobody takes me into his house.  We have straw and provender for our asses, with bread and wine for me and your maidservant and the young man with your servants; there is no lack of anything.' And the old man said, 'Peace be to you; I will care for all your wants; only, do not spend the night in the square.' So he brought him into his house, and gave the asses provender; and they washed their feet, and ate and drank" (Judges 19:14-21).
So here are some deep questions to grow with hospitality.  As friends and families, reception in our culture is typical of hospitality.  But what about a stranger?  A homeless person?  Someone hungry, thirsty, naked or in loneliness?  A person that needs a ride?
What amazes me is that I know some individuals who do all above in our parishes and community!
How can you, and me, discern the hospitality that we could offer to someone beyond our ordinary generosity to those we do not even know?
God Bless!
         
            

No comments:

Post a Comment