Monday, May 21, 2018

Parish Bulletin Article: "Confirmation: 5-13-18

Congratulations to Blaine, Derek, Chad, Amelia, Sarah, Ashley, Melissa and Grace as you will be receiving the sacrament of Confirmation. I am proud of each of you with your different talents, gifts and charisms that God has given you in your life.
As I will not have a microphone at your Confirmation, nor will I offer “a couple of announcements,” you can read this, whether it is shorter or longer!
When I am congratulating you in our spiritual lives, remember that this is not graduating from faith formation.  I hope that this is not the end, but a new beginning in your relationship with Jesus Christ.  
Last weekend I preached about the ability of friendship. Always know that Jesus Christ is your friend, your best friend as “Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13).  Now you will have more power, more gifts and more fruits from the Holy Spirit.  When you experience similar events in your life, the most exceptional opportunity is with your time for God.
I know that I have told you this joke, and I will again: “If you want to get squirrels out of your church (or I guess bats at St. Thomas Aquinas), confirm them as then they will leave”.  While this is a joke, it is sad as in our culture today: only 25% of our parishioners go to Mass weekly.  
I challenge you to spend time with our best friend, especially at Mass and in your personal lives.
As you continue to grow in academics, sports, jobs and hobbies, you are probably busy in your day-to-day.  And if you are busy today, you will be busy tomorrow.  
When I was in college and Seminary, I too was swamped, with classes, exercising and watching sports.  After eight years (four years in college and four years in Seminary), I made a new decision in my life: relaxation on Sundays.  As it was against the current, I became better with my grades, my strengths and my discipline both physically and spiritually by merely relaxing on Sundays.  As I have few regrets in my life, I wish that I would have taken Sundays easier when I was younger.
As you are young in your lives, you can begin a new and essential type of life to follow our Savior by putting him first.  Open your hearts through the sacrament of Confirmation, and you will only grow.  Jesus told his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; pray therefore the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest” (Luke 10:2).  Our Church, our family, your family and yourself have a real harvest that God Has gardened in our lives, and it needs you. 
God Bless!      
  

No comments:

Post a Comment